Optional: White bread or any bread, pistachios instead of almonds or poppy seeds
1. Grate 2 1/2 teaspoons of zest from the lemon then squeeze 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2. In a food processor, pulse your bread into coarse breadcrumbs. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on a skillet over medium-high heat. Add your breadcrumbs and a pinch or two of the zest. Stir until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, cook your pasta to al dente or preferred texture. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. In a large bowl, whisk together your 2 yolks, 2 eggs, cream, cheese, and remaining lemon zest.
4. Add your pasta to cheese mixture and mix. The hot pasta will cook the cheese mixture and you can add a little pasta water if needed. Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix well.
5. Finish it up by sprinkling the breadcrumbs, chives, and almonds.
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart. To view the version click here
For the gluten-free option: click here