1 box of fusilli pasta
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut to bits
2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (3 for more spicy)
3 tablespoons butter
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 small red onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
Paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, add as desired
1/4 cup flour
1 32 oz. carton Swanson® Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cups heavy cream mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
2 large jalapeños
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil and Cajun Spices. Add chicken and coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (time permitting) as you prep the other ingredients.
2. Dice bell peppers, mince garlic, slice mushrooms, and cut to preference the jalapeños.
3. After 30 minutes, in a skillet add diced chicken and cook. Turn chicken over, add 1/2 cup Cajun Broth (we mixed separately 2.5 cups of chicken broth and 3 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning), cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 6-8 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
4. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the red onion and mushrooms and cook till tender. Meanwhile, cook your pasta on the side. Add the bell peppers and garlic and cook till tender. Sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly.
5. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring soup to boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened to desired consistency, approximately 3-5 minutes. Here we add a dash of paprika, garlic powder and a few sprinkles of chili powder (it wasn't spicy enough)
6. Once it's thickened to preference, add the pasta and chicken in. Stir and then add the peas, tomatoes, and jalapeños. Taste and feel free to add the parmesan to the pot or separately in serving bowls.
This recipe was adapted by Carlsbad Cravings. To see their recipe click here
Optional: Adding the jalapeños, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. (We love it EXTRA spicy and honestly, we added more jalapeños to it!)